Raymond Sanders died aged 81 at the start of this year after being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lung caused by exposure to the deadly material, in March 2011.
According to the Derby Telegraph, a statement from the deceased was read out at the hearing and outlined how asbestos was used as insulation within the carriages that he worked in as part of his role at the site.
Irwin Mitchell’s specialist asbestos-related disease claims team helped Mr Sanders to settle his case with the British Rail Residuary Body in October 2011.
David Cass, the solicitor who acted for Mr Sanders and his family, said: “Like many of the cases we deal with, this story highlights how many employers in the past simply failed to ensure that their workers were protected from the serious risks posed by asbestos.
“While significant steps forward have been taken to correct this problem in recent years, we still see instances where people have come into contact with the fibres as a result of employers and other organisations not following guidance on the proper management of buildings containing the material.
“A case like this should serve as an example why all employers need to take steps to improve safety and ensure that those working closely with asbestos are properly protected from any potential risk of exposure.”
“Our thoughts are with Mr Sanders’s family at this time.”